First Baptist Church

First Baptist Church

Photo credit: Branford Historical Society

The first meetings of the Baptists in Branford were held in 1836, in homes and for a time in the Academy. The church was formally founded in 1838 and in 1839 the Baptists successfully petitioned for permission to build a church on the green. The building was completed and dedicated in 1840.