Need help downloading ebooks and audiobooks to your Kindle eReader? Follow these simple steps below.
Downloading to Kindle eReader
- Visit the OverDrive catalog from our Digital Resources link.
- Browse eBooks, or search for a specific book title, or by Kindle book format (under Advanced Search).
- Click BORROW (if copies available) or PLACE A HOLD (if no copies are available).
- Choose your library, then enter your library card (click REMEMBER to keep your card # filled in)
- Click “DOWNLOAD” then choose format: KINDLE.
- Click CONFIRM & DOWNLOAD (must be a Kindle book – Adobe ePUB will not work)
- This opens the Amazon.com website. Sign in with your Amazon.com account, if you are not already signed in.
- Under Deliver to: choose your device, Kindle reading app or transfer to USB.
- Click the “Get library book” button to transfer the book.
- Most books will transfer wirelessly. An active Wi-Fi connection (not 3G/Wireless) is required for wireless delivery to a Kindle device.
- Some are restricted to USB transfer only. To do so, checkout the book as above. When you are sent to the Amazon site:
- Choose Deliver to: TRANSFER VIA COMPUTER.
- Select which device/app the book will be copied onto. Click Continue
- Save eBook file to desktop.
- Connect your Kindle to computer via USB. Kindle will appear in the same location as external USB drives usually appear (for Windows users, this is typically in the “Computer” or “My Computer” menu. For Mac users, the drive will appear on the desktop)
- Click then drag the downloaded file to the “DOCUMENTS” folder of your Kindle. Safely eject Kindle
- eBook will appear on your Home screen.
Helpful Hints for Kindle
- Kindle devices are only compatible with the Kindle ebook format .
- Up to 6 titles can be checked out/placed on hold at one time.
- Choose default lending period in SETTINGS = 7, 10, or 14 days. At checkout, lending period will be what you set.
- Go to Amazon.com, then click Manage Your Kindle to re-download titles, delete/return titles, see borrowed title AND purchases.