The book drop at 30 Harrison Avenue is now staffed on Friday and Saturday mornings from 9 a.m. to noon for book donations.
The Friends of the James Blackstone Memorial Library support the library through a variety of fundraising activities including our annual book sale on the Branford Green in September. This year’s book sale will take place on Thursday, September 18 from 5 to 8 p.m. (preview night for Friends of the Library members and dealers), Friday, September 19 from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m., Saturday, September 20 from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. and Sunday, September 21 from noon to 5 p.m.
We sponsor lectures and programs and provide funds for special programming, particularly for the Youth Services Department, as well as funds for the purchase of equipment for the library, museum passes, movies, concerts, furniture and plantings for the library grounds. Anyone can join the Friends of the Blackstone Library.
The Friends are always looking for volunteers to lend a hand–more than ever, we need new members with new ideas to answer new and tougher challenges. If you are interested in volunteering to help with one of our fundraising activities, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- President, Helen Wong
- Vice President, Pam Roy
- Secretary, Don Mitchell
- Treasurer, Callista Stoddard
- Assistant Treasurer, Paula Harrington
- Friends group founded in 1988
- A separate 501(c)3 (non profit status)
- 550 members, approximately 250 members volunteer
- Governance is by a board; officers are elected for 2 year terms and directors are appointed for varied terms
- Board meets monthly except for January and July
- Annual meeting for members takes place in June
- The library director attends all board meetings and prioritizes the funding requests
- All money raised except for modest expenses is donated back to the library
- Book Sale is major fund raiser but we have ongoing book sales in the library, a holiday gift basket sale and an annual matching gift
- Friends members enjoy a special preview night at the annual book sale
Seniors (65+) and students: $5
If you would like to become a Friend, you can mail a check to the library or leave it at any service desk. You can also use your PayPal account or a credit card by clicking on the Pay Now button below. Be sure to choose your membership level before clicking the Pay Now button.