There is no other place I’ve ever been where I feel at home yet on an adventure at the same time. The Blackstone is evolving and staying ahead of its time yet remains timeless.
—Maryann C., Facebook review
Over the past year, we moved forward on an exciting renovation project which will prepare the Blackstone for the 21st century while honoring the architectural beauty of the building. In that time, your continued support has allowed us to provide ample opportunities for adventures for community members of all ages:
- With StoryWalk® On Main this summer, we partnered with local shops to hang picture book pages in storefront windows. Anyone strolling down Main Street got to read a delightful, beautifully illustrated story along the way! Challenges on each poster gave readers the opportunity to think deeper about the message and interact with the story in a meaningful way. This fantastic all-ages reading adventure will be back next year with increased opportunities for even more shops to get involved.
- Adults can attend a wide variety of workshops and classes at the library, such as free Latin Classes, Lock Picking Classes and Sewing Workshops, and take part in a variety of book clubs, held both at the library and offsite.
- Some of the youngest Branford residents have read or are on their way toward reading 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten, a family program that promotes early literacy skills.
- Older children, teens and tweens can learn computer coding to create digital artwork, games, music, and more in Digital Design classes and try out new technology skills in Maker Monday programs.
- You can bring a new adventure home by borrowing a telescope or sewing machine, thanks to grants and a partnership with the Astrological Society of New Haven! Learn to sew and complete fabric projects in the comfort of home or explore the night sky in your backyard—you can see how the stars change from season to season, see the moon up close, or peek at the rings of Saturn.
These are just some of the experiences to be had with the Blackstone Library. You can help create even more opportunities for adventures by making a year-end gift to the library today.
Learn more about joining the Leadership Circle and making an even greater impact with your donation.
Thank you for being there for Branford and for the Blackstone Library.