An Early Literacy Reading Incentive
Research shows that children develop speech, language and reading skills well before their first day of formal education, so it is up to caregivers to be their first teachers! The most effective way to increase your child’s letter recognition, Phonological Awareness and vocabulary is by reading to them. Children not only grasp more words but also create a sophisticated vocabulary through a wide variety of book topics rather than everyday adult conversation and TV. In the end, knowing more words makes it easier for children to not only recognize the written word but also sound out new words – giving them a head start when it comes to entering school and being prepared to learn.
Plus, children who take part in shared reading are more apt to enjoy it and as a result, will want to learn so that they can continue that enjoyment on their own!
In order to encourage families to take on this daily reading endeavor we have created an early reading incentive program that asks caregivers to read 1000 books before kindergarten! A thousand books by age 5? How can this possibly be done, BUT just think…
3 books each night for 1 year = 1,095 books
1 book each night for 3 years = 1,095 books
Plus, we are going to provide all kinds of stickers, incentives and reading tips to keep you and your early reader excited, engaged, and looking forward to reading with you.
How to get started.
- Registration is easy! Simply click on the SIGN ME UP button. Here you will be prompted to create a username and password. Once the form is completed make sure to click SAVE and get ready to login.
- Don’t forget to stop by the Youth Services Department to pick up your sticker book so that we can track your reading and congratulate you on your accomplishments along the way.
- Now it is time to START reading! Each time you complete a book login to your account and click on the VIEW LOG button. There you will be asked to type in the books title and author. Over time your list will grow and when you hit major milestones like the 100, 200 and 300 mark you will be prompted by the program to visit the library and claim your prize.
- This program has no official end date. You have a full 5 years to complete the task SO do not feel rushed. Reading should not be a chore; have fun! And, take pleasure in knowing that you are creating a life long reader.
Please note that we understand that children like to hear certain books over and over again – so mark it down each time you read it, they count, but also realize that it is important to incorporate new books and topics to increase your child’s reading awareness and vocabulary.
How to share books with your child.
- Make reading a priority – set aside a special time everyday.
- Let your child re-tell the story.
- Take a picture walk, ask your child what they think the pictures are saying.
- Let your child turn the pages.
- DON’T WORRY if you don’t finish the book, every minute counts.
- Run your fingers along the words as you read.
- Make the story come alive – funny voices and singing included.
- HAVE A BLAST